Monday, September 21, 2009

Dose Interview, May 2007

Another interview from NZ Music Month, 2007, this time with Christchurch's Dose.


What inspired you to start producing drum & bass?

Well after DJing for a few years I felt, and I think any DJ would start to feel, a bit limited by having to choose what tunes they can play off a release sheet. So being able to play my own ideas was one of the main reasons I began looking into producing. Another of the most driving motivations comes from seeing other NZ artists doing so well.

Something that also inspired me to keep writing tunes was getting feedback from the likes of Concord Dawn, The Upbeats & State of Mind. It means a lot and is a good confidence booster when established artists compliment and encourage you.


Your first vinyl offer came from DJ Optiv (C4C) & Red light rec. What was your first reaction when you heard Optiv he was interested in ‘Derailed?


It was surreal! Like I'd been sending The Upbeats, State of Mind, Bulletproof & Concord Dawn my tunes for a while hoping that they’d get the tunes out there to labels and DJs. Then I think a couple of weeks after sending Derailed out I came home one weeknight to find a message from Optiv asking about signing that tune. I honestly couldn’t believe it, from having no label interest at all ever to having one of the scene’s most respected artists wanting to sign my tune was a huge change in circumstance. In my opinion Optiv signing two of my tunes and giving me a 12” release to Red Light has really opened a lot of doors for me. I mean with him being so well respected I think a lot of labels might have looked at that signage like a quality control approval on me as a producer.

It did put me in the deep end a bit as I think being signed to Red Light has put the pressure on me to produce tunes to an certain standard which is hard considering this time last year I had no tunes signed at all! But the pressure has been good and given me a good kick to get a bit more serious about writing tunes and to put in a lot more effort!


Many artists dream of signing a tune to a quality label like Klute's Commercial Suicide. What was your first reaction when you heard he was interested in 'Valium Express'?


I think all 3 of us, Trei, Menace and myself, were all well surprised to find that the likes of Ed Rush and Optical, Klute and BSE were all well into the tune! But when Klute mentioned he definitely wanted it for his label we were all basically on the phone to each other straight away, all excited and euphoric like we'd just won the lottery or something!! All 3 of us were buzzing and still are. I don’t think any of us thought when working on that tune that it would have got as much support as it has been getting, let alone be signed by a label like Commercial Suicide.


What's your approach to starting a tune?


I don’t really have any set approach to making a tune; sometimes I'll have an idea and try work from that. Other times I might stumble across a great sample or synth that is just bursting with potential. I think I struggle the most when trying to force an idea though.


What's in your studio?


Well over the last few years I've slowly and frustratingly got a version of PC Logic running that runs almost perfect. It still has the odd crash and glitch but the amount of stuffing around installing and reinstalling I, and others for that matter, have been through over the last few years trying to get things running right has been paid off as now as I can use the VSTs I want to in the sequencer I want to.

Aside from my PC I've just recently upgraded monitors from the Behringer truths to the Mackie 824s. I did have my doubts at first about spending so much money on speakers but with lots of recommendations I went for it and since the purchase I haven’t looked back, the difference is phenomenal.

I've also got a Joe Meek compressor, which I use occasionally, & more recently I purchased a Joe Meek Exciter, which sounds promising.

Apart from those I have a small Evolution keyboard, a Mackie 1202-vlzpro mixer, a couple of custom-made speaker stands and a bit of foam in the corners all in a reasonably small room.


You've supported a number of big DJs over the past few years, do you have any rituals to prepare before a big gig?


Well I'm only just getting over the nerves. Of course practicing, as I don’t play out all that much yet. But apart from that I just try and make sure my records and CDs are organized and I have a good knowledge of what tunes are in my bag.

I find it a bit harder with CDs to do that. As with records when looking through your crate you can remember a tune, well hopefully, by just seeing the record sleeve, but with CDs looking at all these titles of tunes is lot different so knowing your tunes well by name is important to me.


Do you see your long-term future being in New Zealand?


Yes I think so. I haven’t really thought of moving elsewhere at all. I'm pretty happy just doing what I'm doing at the moment if that changes then I guess I'll look for change.


For its size, New Zealand produces a reasonably large number of successful musicians (especially in more 'alternative' music forms), what do you think is the reason Kiwis punch above their weight?


Well there’s lots of support for musicians here from grants to the PACE benefit which help if you can manage to get them. Not to mention the loads of gigs & festivals there are around the country every year supporting NZ musicians.


You're playing with the CERN crew in Auckland this weekend (19th May @ FU), have you played much outside of Christchurch and how do the crowds compare?


Yes a big thanks to Cern who are bringing me up this Saturday for a gig at FU Bar. I haven’t been to Auckland city before so I’m really looking forward to it and to finally seeing FU.

I've played a few times out of Christchurch, Drop from Dunedin organized a Queenstown and Dunedin gig for me in March this year and in the past I've also played in Nelson, Wellington, Oamaru and a couple of the outdoor NYE events. Well it's hard for me to compare crowds fairly as I've been playing in Christchurch for years whereas I've only played a few gigs out of town, but each town seems to have its own good uniqueness.


You've already had a couple of releases this year, what else is in store for punters?


Yes my first 2 releases had promo release in April & will both be on full release by the end of May.

Im not entirely sure in what order these next tunes will come out as things always seem to change but here’s a rough idea of what’s scheduled for the future.

My first 12” ; Derailed / Stone Cold - Red light 013 – Release set for June 07 – which will include Ltd Edition Poster inserts of the crazy artwork!
Syndrome Down EP - Syndrome Audio - Promos June 07 -- // Bulletproof - 1000ft & Rising // Dose - Eye to Eye // Catacomb - Foul matter // Psidream - Evil Genius //
Bulletproof & Teknik feat Dose - Thaw - Cyanide (12" Armour EP 002) - Release mid-late 07
Dose / Catacomb - Anoxia / Out Alive - Aesthetics -Release late 07

Dose, Trei & Menace - Valium Express - Commercial Suicide - Release ???

Also a collab with Psidream, Teknik, Menace & myself that I think will come out on a new label called Nightfall.

& Another collab with Bulletproof & Psidream feat Dose which I’mm not sure what’s happening with yet as it still needs a bit of work.

And also a Dose 12” For a New label a new Kiwi D&B focused label called Souvenir Music, which will do both vinyl releases & a mix cd series.


Lastly, any shout outs you'd like to make?


Shouts to Bassdrop, you Matt for sorting this interview and all the readers! And also to everyone else out there who’s helped /supported me in one way or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment